A moment in history
On 2nd July 2017 a Memorial
Stone will be unveiled on the site of RAF Stormy Down to commemorate those who trained and served there during World War 2, but more importantly in the memory of the 53 individuals who lost their lives whilst undergoing their training.
All but forgotten now, the Royal Air Force aerodrome at Stormy Down, South Wales, served a very important role in the training of both air and ground crews during the 1939-45 war period. By modern standards the grass airfield was tiny; the longest runway was just 1010 yards (923.5 metres). Never the less, more than 7,000 Air Gunners were trained at RAF Stormy Down on courses lasting from three to seven weeks, depending upon the weather. At a conservative estimate at least 10% of trainees did not survive WW2.
Early in the war 400 Air Observers also trained there. Later some 2,000 Flight Engineers training at St Athan did a short ground gunnery course at Stormy Down. There were also a number of short refresher courses. In total, more than 10,000 aircrew passed through the school. That figure does not include pilots, many of which were Fleet Air Arm, who underwent the armament phase of their advanced training before qualifying for their ‘wings’.
For 18 months from June 1940 a Ground Armament School was also based on the camp. It trained 1,800 RAF and WAAF armourers as well as several hundred sailors destined to become Telegraphist Air Gunners with the Fleet Air Arm. Towards the end of WW2 the station ceased to be a flying station, the laying of the Memorial Stone is a gesture in tribute to those that are gone but not forgotten.